One of the first homes to receive energy efficiency improvements through the Government’s ECO funding scheme has been unveiled in Ipswich.
The property in Reynolds Road is the first of almost 400 in the town to be fitted with external wall insulation – making them more energy efficient and saving residents hundreds of pounds on their energy bills.
Tenant Deborah Nutt said she was thrilled to be the first person in the town, and one of the first in the whole country, to benefit from the ECO funded improvements.
She was presented with flowers and a range of energy saving gadgets by regeneration and housing specialist Keepmoat, which is carrying out the improvements on behalf of Ipswich Borough Council.
Mrs Nutt said:
“The house looks fantastic, almost like it’s brand new! And not only does it look great but it will be so much warmer now the work has been done.
“I’m almost looking forward to winter this year so I can find out how much energy I’ll save.”
The Ipswich project was one of the first in the country to be awarded funding through the ECO (Energy Company Obligation) programme.
Having successfully bid for ECO funding, Ipswich Borough Council was awarded £3.2m to provide external wall insulation to 384 properties that have either solid walls or cavity walls that cannot be filled.
The funding means that 87% of the insulation costs are covered by the scheme, with Ipswich Borough Council only having to cover the remaining 13%.
The two year programme is expected to dramatically reduce carbon emissions and fuel bills for tenants by 60%, keeping properties warmer in winter and cooler in the summer.
Lee Anderson, Contracts Manager at Keepmoat, said:
“We were among the first contractors in the country to be chosen to deliver a scheme secured by Energy Company Obligation funding and reaching this milestone of the first home being completed through the project is a great moment for everyone involved.
“At Keepmoat our work is all about transforming communities and helping to create better places to live and this project is a fantastic example of that.
“This work will make a big difference to the lives of residents in Ipswich by not only making their homes warmer but also saving them significant amounts of money on their fuel bills.”
Before securing the ECO funding Ipswich Borough Council had already successfully completed two programmes of external wall insulation to council homes under the Community Energy Saving Programme.
The council has developed a strong working relationship with Keepmoat, with the contractor currently delivering kitchen and bathroom refurbishments to 1,500 properties across the region as part of the Decent Homes programme.