The London Borough of Tower Hamlets has granted planning permission to Rockwell Property for a hotel-led development at 82 West India Dock Road in Westferry, East London.
Rockwell will deliver a 30-storey landmark building on the site, which has been derelict for over a decade, at the gateway to Canary Wharf and next to Westferry DLR station. The development is expected to contribute £172m to the local economy through construction alone and will provide:
- A 400-key hotel including ground floor restaurant, café and bar
- 66 new 1, 2 and 3-bed tenure-blind apartments of which 35% will be affordable for local families
- Approximately 250 new jobs in the hospitality sector
- Ground floor retail or community space, activating the street and providing a local amenity
- Extensive public realm and landscaping works, both on site and in the surrounding area to significantly improve place-making and provide a more connected, safe, cohesive and green environment
- Half an acre of gardens and 48 additional trees including the introduction of an urban arboretum, residents’ garden and over 220m of children’s play space
- In addition, over £7 million in Section 106 and Community Infrastructure Levy to fund local infrastructure improvements, training programmes for local residents and support for local recruitment.
The development has been designed by leading UK architects Simpson Haugh & Partners, the practice responsible for One Blackfriars and Circus West Village at Battersea Power Station. Their expertise has helped to create a vision for Westferry that will see a slender, elegant mixed-use tower marking the entrance to Canary Wharf.
The Council’s decision follows extensive consultation with their officers and local residents, who have helped shape the design of the proposals. The development represents an exceptionally high-quality design and is recognised as making a positive contribution to the area; bringing back into use a long-standing vacant and highly accessible site, providing visitor accommodation, jobs, much needed housing and public realm improvements.
Donal Mulryan, Founder of Rockwell, said:
“Our vision for 82 West India Dock Road will breathe new life into a neglected site that has been derelict for many years. This inspiring new building includes a hotel that will bring new jobs and business to the local area, in addition to much needed new homes for the local community in an inspiring new building. We are dedicated to delivering this exciting, high-quality development and look forward to turning this site into a place that locals can be proud of.’
Mark Savage, Partner, SimpsonHaugh, said:
“We have worked closely with Rockwell Property to design a high quality, mixed-use scheme that will improve connections across West India Dock Road, providing new homes, employment and training opportunities, whilst creating a safer and more secure public realm environment for the community.”
Construction is due to start on the site in Summer 2019.
The public realm and landscape improvements have been designed by Exterior Architecture Ltd. GVA acted as planning consultants for Rockwell.